Tuesday, March 13, 2007

MJ and the Birdseed

Good morning!!!!

My friend Melissa emailed me...apparently you can't post to this blog unless you have a Gmail Account....sorry guys! If you're interested in one, just shoot me an email and I can invite you...apparently Gmail is invitation only.

I thought Melissa had some great advice...so all you closet dieters can learn from her! Here's what she wrote:


Heather,
I don't have a gmail account so I can't post this. Be here is what I would have posted.

Way to go Heather! I'm so proud of you! For those of you who might not know me (Heather's goofy friend from Glenwood City) I started my weight management journey at the tender age of 14. Not what I recommend, but like I said, I'm a goofball.
I lost 25 pounds one summer before starting the 8th grade and I made a commitment to never be overweight again. Yes, I am a bit "goal-oriented" as some would say. But hey, at 32 I now have about 18 years of experience under my belt. Here are my secrets:

Learn to pack healthy lunches and plan healthy meals. Always. Don't get sucked into the junk food and convenience food mode.

Find a type of fitness you really enjoy and can see doing the rest of your life (seriously) I enjoy walking and aerobics. I do this 3-4 times a week for over 30 minutes a day. Luckily, I have a fitness center at work.

Learn portion control and practice it everyday. You will be surprised at what true portion sizes really are.

Don't drink pop.

Stop eating 3 hours before bedtime.

Basically, make wise food choices every time you put something in your mouth. Think...do you really need that "treat" or if there is a healthier alternative. Breakfast and Lunch can be nearly fool-proof with this method. Yes, this is unrealistic that every choice will be a good one. But if you do this 85% of the time and have your exercise routine down, that 15% of bad stuff will not cause much (if any) weight gain. So, don't be too hard on yourself.

Write down what you eat. Like Heather is doing.

Now, the depressing part. This is how it is going to be. It is a life change in how you think and act regarding food.

Best of luck Heather! I know you will do great!

Melissa


Thanks Melissa!!!!! I've always remembered how you told me that after you lost your weight you ran around the track with the bags of birdseed to remember how it felt to be that much heavier...even though that is slightly messed up (J/K)...I remember thinking how I could never run around the track with the damn birdseed...so I could imagine how good and how much easier it would feel to be less that much weight...so my new motivation is to think about birdseed!!!!
I measured my waist and I lost 1/2 inch! Not too shabby!
The Asian Salmon was great and I stuck to my fitness goals yesterday! I'd like to think that Day 1 was a raging success...now I tackle Day 2.

Here is the Asian Salmon recipe I promised...I'll just post the marinade...I don't think it matters how you cook it...as long as it's not deep-fried!

Asian Marinade
1 Tablespoon of Maple Syrup (I would think honey would be good too)
1 Tablesppon of Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
(I found a jar of fresh ginger in the health food isle at Festival Foods! I was so excited because I HATE grating ginger! Plus, the whole jar was less than $2.00 and it will keep in the fridge)
1 Tablesppon of minced garlic
1 Tablesppon of sliced scallions (just the green part)


No comments: